Angry Doctor

Thursday, October 06, 2005

I made a nurse cry today...

Well, not really.

JD did make Carla cry in today's episode of Scrubs though.

And that reminded me of the times I did make nurses cry during the course of my career.

Score: 4 work-related, 1 personal

I'm ashamed to admit that for the 4 work-related episodes, the real problem was not really with them but with my subconscious (and erroneous) belief that it's a doctor's right to be rude to a nurse when she makes a mistake.

(Let's face it: I would never have lost it with a nursing officer or a senior doctor, so don't tell me 'rank' wasn't an issue.)

I've apologised to each of them (well, not the one in the 'personal' episode...) and they have accepted my apology in each case, but deep inside I never forget that I let my anger get the better of me when dealing with my colleagues, that I saw people as uniforms rather than people.

And that still haunts me.

So let that be a warning to you young hotheads out there.

Yes, I mean you.

5 Comments:

  • me?

    YES SIR!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 06, 2005 10:51 pm  

  • I'll be very honest. I have NEVER made a nurse cry in my career.

    I have had nurses come to me crying and complaining about my friend and colleague, but I was not the one who made her cry.

    There have been many cases where nurses have made me almost cry though :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 07, 2005 2:15 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger ckyh, At October 07, 2005 3:29 pm  

  • Hmmm... guess there's great personality diff between (1) a doctor who's good at treating illnesses, (2) a doctor who's good with patients, (3) a doctor who's a good colleague.

    EQ concerns pervades all industries lah. Perhaps the workplace is more tolerable for anyone, if we bear in mind all the time to "first do no harm"?

    Just curious... do hospitals do occupational personality tests for doctors?

    By Blogger ckyh, At October 07, 2005 3:30 pm  

  • Pretty effective info, thanks for the post.
    glance | . | 7 best | have a look | 4 my | 7

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 16, 2013 11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home