Angry Doctor

Friday, April 07, 2006

Lessons from My Houseman Year - 3

Lesson 3 - The Secret of My Success



Time exists so everything wouldn’t happen all at once.

Ask any doctor and he or she will tell you that the secret to surviving housemanship is the ability to prioritise.


Every nurse, every senior doctor, and every patient or his family will think that the task they have just requested/demanded of you is the most urgent one and must be attended to immediately.

But you must know better.

You don’t?

Well, I would tell you… but then it wouldn’t be a secret anymore, would it?

2 Comments:

  • Ah, once again, true for nurses.

    I've had MDs use the term "STAT" only because they know ER nurses take it seriously and drop everything when the term is used. In other words, they abuse it.

    So...nurses also must prioritize the demands made upon them.

    And I'd tell you the secret, except I don't have one, I just do it! LOL!

    By Blogger Kim, At April 09, 2006 2:37 pm  

  • Dear Angry Doctor,

    This is true not only for training, but for practice. It takes the skills of a diplomat to explain to patients and families those concepts. Keep the good ideas coming!
    b

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 23, 2006 6:40 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home