Angry Doctor

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Being Happy

Apologies for not posting over the past few days, but sometimes diagnoses are made accurately, patients are compliant and have good outcomes, and normally-obstructionist jerks co-operate fully, and there really isn't anything to make angry doc angry.

And I'm not the only one feeling a little more placid this week - Dr Crippen, Dr tscd, and Dr Barbados Butterfly all seem to be enjoying a little respite from the usual aggravations too.

Not much on the media front to ruffle my feathers either. In fact, this article from Today today even managed to put a smile on my face:

(excerpt)

"What about healthcare policies aimed at making people happier? If people are happier, they are less likely to fall ill, thus, saving money for the taxpayer and themselves. What about educating Singaporeans on depression being a common illness? And negotiating with makers of Prozac and other anti-depressants that have limited side effects to supply Singaporeans with cheap pills?"


Yes, we should just put it in the tap water and make everyone happy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Qn: Isn't it very tiring/ emotionally draining to be ANGRY all the time?... and as a result lead to medical problems?

    It's also less stressful to the patient to walk into the consult room to see a smiling dr.

    I hafta say that reading the medical blogs like yours and a couple of others, have been quite enlightening and entertaining (at times). If got no irritating issues that upset you, can write some HAPPY things that happened in the clinic? : )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 19, 2006 9:04 pm  

  • Actually, I am not angry all the time. Not even most of the time. In fact, some days I go home feeling rather pleased with myself.

    Most of the time things are pretty routine and smooth-going, but really they are not very interesting (I suspect) to the general reader.

    (I do read a blog by a doctor involved in hospice care which I find very touching, personal, and 'human', but I do not link to the blog because I am not sure the author will appreciate the traffic.)

    Like I said before the 'anger' is an online persona. This blog did start out as a place I could vent but I guess it's evolved into a platform where we can think about and discuss issues realating to medicine and society, and I didn't see the point in changing the name or the persona. :)

    By Blogger angry doc, At July 19, 2006 10:01 pm  

  • Yeah or just a place to gather and talk. :)

    By Blogger Dr Oz bloke, At July 20, 2006 10:11 am  

  • Just wait. There are rules among the gods of medicine: they notice if a doc is feeling good for more than a day or two, and send a bolt of reality. Your blog is safe.

    By Blogger Sid Schwab, At July 23, 2006 7:44 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home