Angry Doctor

Friday, July 07, 2006

Interpreter of Maladies 4

"This job wasn't always easy -- and maybe I wasn't always qualified -- but it was an important part of family life in my immigrant family. Banning this interaction between child and parent -- especially when the family has no other choice -- seems wrong to me. When I was interpreting for my family, I felt I was fulfilling my filial duty. I was contributing to the family.

I hope that the state could get to a point where every non-English speaking person can have access to a professional translator when they need one as they seek health care. If that happened, children like me wouldn't have to learn a third language -- medical talk -- that they may or may not fully understand."

- from Translation Trouble - Children May Be Barred From Interpreting for Their Parents, New America Media

1 Comments:

  • To the above comment
    I think what you said is not right. These people may be workers who help the growth of your country as well as yours. Think befoe you say something!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 10, 2006 3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home