Angry Doctor

Saturday, September 09, 2006

"Broadcast News"

It's no secret that angry doc is no fan of the media, and so it came as a bit of a surprise to he himself that many scenes from the movie "Broadcast News" have actually been etched in his memory.

Like the scene when William Hurt clasped his hands over his heart when he saw Holly Hunter's character at the ball.

Or the line

"It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you are the smartest person in the room."

which he said to Blinkymummy the first time they met.

And the way Holly Hunter's character would, upon reaching the office each morning, unplug her phone, and then proceed to weep at her desk.

I think doctors don't set aside enough time to cry.

God knows we've got many things to cry over.

God knows we've got many people to cry for.

***

A couple of postings ago I saw a young woman referred to the clinic for a common symptom. Unfortunately examination revealed that she had advanced cancer.

I remember I literally ran around the hospital to get her care co-ordinated quickly. She was warded under the care of the oncology department, which my senior T worked in. I popped over to see her a couple of times. Her condition was stabilised, and she was discharged. I hoped for the best.

A few months later I saw her sitting all by herself at the hospital cafeteria, having her lunch. In between bites she stared into the distant. I watched her for a while before I walked over and said hello. She was there for her treatment. All by herself.

I spoke with T later, and learnt that while the case was a little complicated, they were making some progress.

So I was very surprised when I found out recently that she had died. Died from cancer.

I was upset for quite a while.

Not because she was young.

Not because the cancer was unexpected.

But because I remember the way she looked when she stared into the distance while she ate.

I didn't cry though. I don't remember her having cried over her own illness either.

***

On an unrelated note, here's another quote from the movie, this time from Albert Brooks' character, which I've actually forgotten until I googled the movie up while writing this entry:

"What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? Nobody is going to be taken in if he has a long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm semi-serious here. He will look attractive and he will be nice and helpful and he will get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation and he will never do an evil thing... he will just bit by little bit lower standards where they are important. Just coax along flash over substance... Just a tiny bit. And he will talk about all of us really being salesmen. And he'll get all the great women."

Have a good weekend.

4 Comments:

  • you've just about made me cry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 09, 2006 10:51 pm  

  • thanks for the link to angrynhsdoctor.blogspot.com. This guy is hilarious - have you see his last posts - why do walls lie.

    could you collaborate with him on some blog suff - or get a link from your site to his so other people can read his rants!?

    AS always love your site
    dan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 11, 2006 11:39 pm  

  • Thank you, Dan.

    I think I will let angrynhsdoctor do his own thing for a while for now. :)

    By Blogger angry doc, At September 12, 2006 5:15 pm  

  • wow. this post is so deep. they should make you a guest star on Grey's Anatomy. or make you one of House's patients so you can lecture him and do the whole shed-light-on-why-House-is-who-he-is thing.

    By Blogger The Angry Medic, At September 15, 2006 9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home