Angry Doctor

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Based on a true story...

The recent discussion on unproven forms of therapy reminded angry doc of this little clinical episode that occurred a while ago ...


Patient: So doc, how's my condition?

angry doc: Actually, your control is worse compared to the last visit. Are you still taking your medicines?

Patient: To be honest, doc, I stopped taking the medicine you gave me and I'm now taking some traditional medicine.

angry doc: I appreciate you being honest with me, but it doesn't seem like this traditional medicine is effective in controlling your condition. Where did you get this medicine from?

Patient: Well, it's from a guy my friend recommended me...

angry doc: Does he operate out of a clinic, or his home?

Patient: He sold them to me during a talk at a hotel function room; says it's a secret formula passed down for generations in his family, and that it's 100% effective for this condition. He said he wasn't selling it for the money, but because he wanted to help patients.

angry doc: I see... and how much did this medicine cost?


Patient: A month's medicine cost $100. You think I've been conned, don't you, doctor?

angry doc: Well, let's just say that if I was out to help as many patients as I could I wouldn't be keeping the formula a family secret.

Patient: So you think he's just doing this for the money?

angry doc: Well, if I had a medicine that is 100% effective for this condition, I certainly wouldn't be selling them out of a hotel function room at $100 a bottle - I'll just sell the formula to some big drug company for $10-million and call it a day.


Patient: I see your point, doc. I guess I'm just too gullible. So what shall we do about my condition?

angry doc: Well, first you can put all your money and jewellery into this plastic bag with these apples here, and don't open the bag until you get home.

Patient: Huh? How's that supposed to help with my blood pressure?

angry doc: Blood pressure? Sorry, I thought you were talking about your gullibility.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • hey doc,

    hahaha.. i love your humour.. :) i can just imagine your patient's bewildered look when u said the last two lines..

    I'm still reading your blog, tho I've deleted mine.. blogging takes up too much time..

    I love the last post -- the arguments are clear and well reasoned, as usual..

    teck

    By Blogger Teck, At April 03, 2008 10:36 pm  

  • Start blogging again, Teck - you know Clearthought can do with another blogger.

    By Blogger angry doc, At April 03, 2008 10:43 pm  

  • well, i'm not sure.. currently i'm busy at work (but well, who isn't?) and preparing to move to US for my grad studies.. those things take greater priority currently..

    as for clearthought.. well, you've set a high standard that's hard to match :) keep it up, doc!

    By Blogger Teck, At April 04, 2008 9:43 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home